Emergency crews evacuated residents in an Ancaster home and closed part of a street after a major gas leak Monday morning.

A backhoe involved in sidewalk construction hit a natural gas line 289 Wilson Street around 7:20 a.m., Union Gas spokesperson Andrea Stass said. It ruptured a small plastic distribution line.

Residents of one home were evacuated as a precaution, and nearby businesses delayed opening. Another home was evacuated for "an unrelated issue," she said.

The evacuation is over, and the leak should be completely fixed around noon today, Strass said.

Firefighters went door to door checking on residents and businesses, said Claudio Mostacci, spokesperson for the Hamilton fire department. About 20 firefighters were on scene.