Rain is all that's left in Hamilton of tropical storm Sandy.

"We've seen the worst of the storm," said Geoff Coulson, a warning preparedness meteorologist with Environment Canada. 

The last wind warning for the city of Hamilton ended Tuesday morning, said Coulson.   The strongest wind reported in Hamilton was near the Queen Elizabeth Way in Stoney Creek, gusting to 96 km/hr at 12:15 a.m early Tuesday, according to the Weather Office.

The storm may have lessened in intensity, but winds are still "gusty," with winds ranging between 30 to 50 km/h in Hamilton. There's no sign that the rain is going to let up in the next 48 hours either. Environment Canada reports Southern Ontario still has rainfall and high winds to come.

Between 2 p.m. Monday and 2 p.m Tuesday 41.4 millimetres of rain fell, Coulson said.

While Sandy has brought its fair share of rain and inconvenience in the city, there are some who qualify its overall impact on the city. 

"We've had more flooding incidents as a result of intense summer storms in the last 10 years versus hurricanes,"said Hazel Breton, manager, water resource engineering at the Hamilton Conservation Authority.

Breton cited one storm this year.

"On July 22, we got 140 milimetres [of rain] in three hours."

Expect both rain and "blustery winds" in the city Wednesday, too, but the gusts are "well below the threshold to do significant damage," said Coulson. On Wednesday, the wind is expected to shift to the northwest and settle to 30 km/h by late afternoon.

Halloween is still on for Wednesday evening, but trick or treaters "should dress warmly" and prepare for a wet trudge as they go from house to house.

Late Tuesday afternoon, Sandy was sitting over western Pennsylvania, Coulson said. 

Sandy does her worst

Overnight in Hamilton, the Mountain and Ancaster, Dundas and Flamborough areas were the worst hit.

"As far as weather goes, between 8:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m., officers responded from call to call for trees down, wires down and collisions," said Terri-Lynn Collings, spokesperson for Hamilton Police.

 "That was expected with the high winds."

In the lower city, Collings said there was only one call, a tree had fallen on some cars.

"The damage was not too significant," said Kelly Anderson, public affairs co-ordinator for Hamilton's public works department. "It was similar to other storms."

Anderson said there were no reports of floods on any roadways in Hamilton. The city received five calls for flooding in basements and two calls for sewer back-ups. These incidents were scattered around the city and not in one concentrated area, she said.

Crews worked on traffic signals, power outages and fallen trees and debris, Anderson said.

There were no injuries overnight related to weather, just property damage, Collings said.

At the Hamilton International Airport, flights ran on schedule, said spokesperson Ashley Hogan.

City of Hamilton sports fields and diamonds were closed.