Edmonton lawyer Brian Fish wants the two officers who arrested and used a Taser on him in 2006 to face disciplinary hearings. ((CBC))

An Edmonton lawyer who says police used a Taser on him twice during Stanley Cup playoff celebrations on Whyte Avenue in 2006 took his complaint to the Law Enforcement Review Board Monday.

Brian Fish, 69, wants the two officers who handcuffed, detained and used a stun gun on him to face disciplinary hearings.

Fish filed an appeal with the LERB after an internal Edmonton Police Service investigation found no wrongdoing by the officers.

"There's a principle involved," Fish said Monday. "I think the EPS needs to be brought under control and they're not."

On June 17, 2006, the Edmonton Oilers had just forced a Game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals by winning a crucial game against the Carolina Hurricanes. Thousands of fans gravitated to Whyte Avenue to celebrate — as they had throughout the later stages of that year's playoff run.

That night, Fish's son Nigel was on Whyte Avenue and had just seen his friend get arrested. He called his father over concerns that police were "out of control" in their attempts to contain the revellers. 

When he arrived at Whyte Avenue, Brian Fish started taking pictures of another arrest with his digital camera. He caught the attention of police, who told him to stop. When he refused, Fish said, he was knocked to the ground and one of the officers used a Taser on him. 

Fish said he was then handcuffed, arrested, and only released hours later when he finally agreed to give his name to police. He was never charged.

Fish's son Nigel travelled from Budapest, Hungary, to testify at the board on Monday. Nigel Fish told the hearing he tried to intervene when he saw how officers were handling his father.

"That's an old man," he said, adding the officers then pulled him to the ground and arrested him as well. 

After Monday's hearing, Nigel Fish told reporters how he felt about testifying.

"I mean I felt, I feel uneasy you know?" he said. "I felt threatened that night, so, you know, it brings back that."

The hearing may finish on Tuesday if police decide not to present evidence in the case.