Travis Vader has been arrested after the Crown decided to recommence murder charges against him in the deaths of Alberta seniors Lyle and Marie McCann.

First-degree murder charges against Vader were stayed in March. The Crown had one year to recommence the proceedings. 

A warrant was issued by Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench on Friday. Vader was arrested in St. Albert and taken into custody around 3 p.m. MT. 

Bret McCann issued a brief statement about Vader's arrest. 

"Today's news means that my whole family will now have the opportunity to learn more about the investigation into my parents' death when this case comes to trial," he said. 

"Our goal now is to ensure that the accused receives a fair trial. And to that end, we will not be speaking publicly at this time. We ask that you respect our privacy."

Vader's lawyer Brian Beresh questioned the timing of the arrest. 

"I am very shocked and amazed that this would happen," Beresh said. "And I'm also very suspicious that it would happen on a date just before the Christmas break when obtaining bail for my client would be very difficult before the new year."

RCMP said a date hasn't yet been set for Vader to speak to the charges. Beresh said he will seek bail for his client as soon as possible, and that RCMP have provided no explanation for why the charges have been reactivated.

RCMP said they will not provide public comment beyond what was stated in the news release. 

McCanns last seen in 2010

Vader was released in October after spending four years in custody. Vader has denied knowing anything about what happened to the McCanns other than what was reported in the news. 

He said that it was "horrible" to think people believe he is responsible for their deaths.

“What do my children think? What they went through? It’s not me. It’s my family. What they’ve been through."

The McCanns were last seen alive in July 2010 at a gas station in their hometown of St. Albert. The seniors were on their first day of a road trip to British Columbia.

Their burned-out motorhome was found two days later in a remote area near Edson, Alta. Their bodies have never been found.