Teen pleads guilty to murder of Camrose caregiver

A 19-year-old man pleaded guilty to second degree murder in the death of Dianne McClements on Tuesday.

Dianne McClements body was discovered in May 2012

A 19-year-old pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the death of Dianne McClements. Her spouse Greg Chant spoke with CBC. 1:53

A 19-year-old man pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the death of Dianne McClements on Tuesday.

McClements, 61, was working at the Marler Independent Living Home on May 12, 2012 when she was stabbed to death by a resident of the group home.

According to an agreed statement of facts, the teen, who was 17 at the time, went down to the basement at the facility where McClements was alone.

When he saw the worker, he stabbed her with two knives, stomped on her face and deeply cut her neck. He then took McClements’ vehicle and drove to Vermilion.

Another resident discovered McClements’ body later that evening.

A coworker discovered McClements' body in May 2012. (Facebook)

The teen confessed to murdering McClements to three separate individuals that night, the court document says. 

Police later found McClements’ blood-stained vehicle in the Vermilion provincial park. It was later confirmed that the blood belonged to the teen.

Police arrested the youth the next day. His bloodied boots were found in a dumpster, and the pants and shirt he was wearing at the time of the killing were also recovered.

The teen has been ordered to undergo a psychiatric assessment. He cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.  

The Crown wants him to be sentenced as an adult. A hearing will likely take place early in 2015. 

McClement's spouse Greg Chant has been haunted about the last few minutes of his partner's life.  He said that he is angry at the teen that killed her. 

"I mean he wrecked everything.  He wrecked things in my life, in his life.  He wrecked it.  Just complete," he said. 

"I don't care if he was not quite 18. I want everybody to be as angry as I am."

McClements’ family said in May they are suing the Alberta government.

The lawsuit alleged that the government and child services authority did not take steps to ensure McClements would be safe and that she would not be working alone.