Edmonton family wins formula coverage fight
Mother says problem still exists for other families in Alberta
Posted: Dec 27, 2012 2:47 PM MT
Last Updated: Dec 28, 2012 11:27 AM MT
An Edmonton family struggling to pay for the special food their infant needs to survive has received good news this holiday season.
Lisa Caskenette says Alberta Blue Cross has agreed to cover the special hypoallergenic baby formula her four-month-old son, Isaac, needs.
“I was elated,” she said.
"Jumping around, doing Tina Turner across the living room. Tears of joy."
Isaac suffers from necrotizing enterocolitis.
The intestinal disease, which struck Isaac a few weeks after he was born, makes it impossible for the boy to digest dairy products and means he can't be breastfed.
It also puts a strain on Isaac’s body when digesting food, and could lead to internal bleeding.
His family has been feeding him Neocate, a special kind of formula. The formula cost the family around $1,200 a month, and until recently, wasn’t covered by their insurance.
Caskenette says late last week, a letter from Blue Cross came saying the family’s appeal had been approved and that 80 per cent of Isaac’s formula would be covered.
“We didn’t know if and when we would see the end of it. It has been a huge stress relief for us.”
Will still fight for provincial coverage
Caskenette says even though her son’s formula will be paid for, the fight isn’t over. She says six other families in the province are dealing with the same costs.
She says the Alberta government needs to cover special baby formula for medical cases.
"It is food. But it’s not an alternative food. It is the only food,” Caskenette said.
“Until they can address that and change legislation to recognize formulas as being medically necessary we're not going to get anywhere."
She plans to continue a petition to get Neocate and similar formulas covered by the province.
She also says with the family’s financial burden lifted, they plan to make donations to the Stollery Children’s Hospital, where Isaac frequently stayed.
Latest Edmonton News Headlines
- Students and education officials react to EPSB budget
- Impending cuts to staffing facing Edmonton Public Schools has parents, students and teachers worried. more »
- Preventative health care for unhealthy could save billions
- Billions of dollars could be saved in Canada's health-care system with the introduction of preventative programs that focus on those individuals in poor health, says a study by the School of Public Policy at the University of Calgary. more »
- Ex-Rexall bartender in court for alleged theft
- The man accused of stealing more than $700,000 while working at Rexall Place made his first court appearance in Edmonton Wednesday. more »
- Council votes to expropriate City Centre Airport land
- Edmonton has taken another step towards redeveloping the City Centre Airport into a new neighbourhood. more »
Top News Headlines
- Sopranos star James Gandolfini dies in Italy
- B.C. First Nation sets fires to save bison
- Canada buys rare War of 1812 collection for $573K
- The government of Canada was the winning bidder for a large collection of letters, maps and other papers that once belonged to Sir John Sherbrooke, the lieutenant-governor of Nova Scotia who conquered Maine for the British during the War of 1812. The collection sold for $573,000 at auction in London. more »
- Bob Rae quits as MP in 'very emotional' decision
- Bob Rae, who has represented the Toronto Centre riding for the Liberals since 2008, is stepping down as a Member of Parliament to devote more time to his work as a negotiator for First Nations in Northern Ontario. more »
- $23,000 in roaming charges 'insane,' says Edmonton woman
- Edmonton places moratorium on body rub shops
- Zama spill site shows brown trees, 3 containment sites
- 30,000 Canadians are homeless every night
- Man charged in connection with 2 Edmonton homicides
- Amber Alert ends after infant girl located by Edmonton police
- AHS to reverse controversial home care decisions
- End of Alberta policy separating seniors from family lauded
- RCMP identify remains found at Enoch Cree Nation