Leaky condo owners in Alberta want better inspections
Posted: Sep 20, 2012 7:28 PM MT
Last Updated: Sep 20, 2012 9:57 PM MT
Some north Edmonton condo owners facing massive repair bills — and the possibility of losing their homes — are calling on the province to do a better job inspecting new buildings.
“This is our home. We love this place. It's close to everything we need. It was affordable, at one time,” said David Tomchuk, who bought a condo with his wife Gloria at the Palisades two years ago.
The 240-unit building, which was built only seven years ago, now needs $6 million in repairs due to water damage.Gloria and David Tomchuk say their $18,000 repair bill is forcing them into foreclosure and out of the condo they've owned for two years. (CBC News)
Tomchuk said the couple wasn’t able to play the $14,800 repair bill they were given and were unable to remortgage. They are now in foreclosure.
“We've been turned down by basically every bank in the country.... We're first time homebuyers and we got our first letter of demand last week,” he said.
Others in the complex are also dealing with high costs.
Bernie Leverenz and her husband bought a condo in the building in 2005.
They say they’re now stuck with a $18,000 bill.
Leverenz says the provincial government has failed to make sure that new buildings in Alberta have been properly constructed.
“You have worked hard all your life done without anything from the government and the province chooses to have no inspections for buildings,” she said.
“Did we ever think this [would happen]? No, we didn't.”
Province introducing 5-year warranty program
NDP MLA Dave Eggen, who represents the riding, says the province should have caught the problems with the building before people moved in.
“It’s unacceptable that the inspection process here in the province of Alberta allows this sort of shoddy workmanship to take place, not only in the Palisades, but in the rest of Alberta,” Eggen said.NDP Municipal Affairs critic Deron Bilous says the province needs a better inspection system to prevent homeowners from getting ripped off. (CBC News)
The Conservative government plans to introduce a bill forcing home builders to offer a warranty on their work for at least five years, which it says will help buyers who discover problems later on.
Municipal Affairs Minister Doug Griffiths says the province may look at an option to cover work for even longer.
“Some problems develop after the first year but most develop within three to four years, he said.
“So you still want to have warranty to cover, that right up to some things like the major constructional components of the house or building need to be covered up to ten years.”
Deron Bilous, NDP municipal affairs critic, said the province has been promising an expanded warranty program for years. He said better inspection is the best way to stop problems like those in the Palisades.
“An inspector signs off on the building, such as this one, yet it’s the condo owners that have to foot the bill,” he said.
“A warranty isn’t worth the paper it is printed on if there isn’t going to be proper inspections.”
Latest Edmonton News Headlines
- Violent Edmonton arsonist sentenced to 15 years
- An Edmonton man has pleaded guilty to hitting a woman with toilet tank lid and setting her apartment on fire and dragging a second woman behind his car. more »
- Trudeau raises environmental questions over pipeline
- Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau says a proposed west-east pipeline project will not go forward unless it addresses key environmental concerns. more »
- Rain, snow in K-Country prompts rescue of school campers
- A group of wet and cold school kids and their adult supervisors from Edmonton had to be rescued from Kananaskis Country on Wednesday night. more »
- Strathcona County fire held, but wind poses concern
- A wildfire in Strathcona County is now considered to be held. more »
Top News Headlines
- How was the Mike Duffy report 'whitewashed?'
- Opposition parties pushed the government on Thursday to answer questions about the "whitewashed" Duffy report while the RCMP is also seeking more information from the Senate as part of its review of questionable expenses. more »
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. more »
- SNC-Lavalin letter says Gadhafi son offered VP post: RCMP
- SNC-Lavalin's ties to Libya's former dictatorship ran so deep the company offered the son of Moammar Gadhafi a six-figure job as a vice president in 2008, according to a newly unsealed RCMP affidavit. more »
- Canada Post campaigns against 'no flyers' mailbox signs
- Canada Post has been mailing more than 900,000 letters across the country to people to try to convince them to remove "no flyer" signs from their mailboxes. more »
- Smudge, the Hotel Macdonald's friendliest greeter
- Lindale fire doubles in size within hours
- Hostage taking at Edmonton courthouse sends prisoner to hospital
- Photocopier bill could topple Edmonton charity
- Postal workers strike in Fort McMurray
- Edmonton driver, 62, charged in boy's patio death
- Wait time and primary care reforms stalled
- Liam, Emma, most popular names for Alberta babies
- Driver too drunk to stand, says mom of toddler killed on patio