An Edmonton senior is improving after she was found living in an apartment with black mould and water dripping through a collapsed kitchen ceiling.
Const. Darren Smith said the condition of the woman's two-bedroom rental apartment made for one of the most shocking files he has investigated in his 17-year policing career.
“It was a top floor rental suite so it had the vapour barrier which was sagging between the joists and water,” Smith said. “It was sagging because of the weight of the water and water was dripping.”
Smith says the woman was using pots to collect the water.
“There was almost a constant drizzle of water into pots.”
Smith’s team became involved after the woman contacted Catholic Social Services looking for help. Smith's Elder Abuse Intervention Team was sent to check on her welfare.
The apartment was condemned by Alberta Health Services. The landlord has been ordered to repair the damages.
After spending time in hospital, the woman has since been released and has found temporary accommodation.
The woman lived on her own and was not receiving home care.
Police say privacy legislation prevents them from making the apartment address public.