Ex-UFC fighter Ryan Jimmo was killed in a hit-and-run incident on Edmonton's Whyte Avenue early Sunday morning, his aunt confirmed to CBC News.

Jimmo — who went by the name "The Big Deal" when fighting — was 34.

He is perhaps best remembered from his seven-second knockout of Anthony Perosh at UFC 149 and his subsequent celebration that saw him do both the robot and the splits.

His aunt, Sharon Jimmo, said Ryan was "friends with everyone," in a phone interview from Saint John, N.B.

"He was a people person, he loved everyone. He was so kind," said Jimmo. "He was a fighter but personally he was a great guy."

"Ryan would help anyone who would need it, he was just that kind of guy. He lived his life the way he wanted, he was happy-go-lucky."

MMA UFC 149 20120721

Ultimate Fighting Championship fighter Ryan Jimmo, left, from Edmonton, Alta., celebrates knocking out Anthony Perosh, from Australia, in the first round during UFC 149 in Calgary, Alta., Sat., July 21, 2012. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh (The Canadian Press)

According to his aunt, Ryan and his girlfriend were in the process of moving back to Edmonton, He was only in the city for a couple of days before he was killed in the hit and run.

"It's terrible, it's hard to wrap your head around, it just doesn't seem possible."

Many in the mixed martial arts community have tweeted condolences, including Dana White, current president of the UFC.

Police appealing for witnesses

In an earlier release, police said an altercation occurred between two drivers at around 2:15 a.m. in the parking lot of the H2O Lounge, on Whyte Avenue and 101st Street.

The victim had approached the other vehicle on foot. When he began to walk away, police say the suspect vehicle accelerated and struck him before leaving the scene.

The vehicle — a dark-coloured pickup truck police say was occupied by at least two Caucasian males — then fled eastbound on Whyte Avenue in the westbound lane and nearly hit a red car.

H2O Lounge

Police say the victim was hit by a vehicle in the parking lot of the H2O Lounge, on Whyte Avenue and 101st Street. (CBC/Emily Fitzpatrick)

The truck was last seen near Whyte Avenue and 99th Street.

Police say it's not known if the parties knew each other.

The vehicle is described as an older-model, extended-cab pickup truck. It has been modified with a lift kit, oversized tires and clear tail lights. 

Police would also like to speak with the driver of the red car that was nearly hit as the truck fled the scene, or anyone else who may have witnessed the incident.

With files from Andrea Ross