People living in Edmonton’s Prince Charles neighbourhood, just north of downtown, have been allowed to return to their homes Saturday morning.
Dozens were evacuated from their homes Friday night after an ammonia leak was detected.
Deputy Fire Chief John Lamb said the leak came from an ice plant that burned down last May.
“We've made entry into the area, there's been no injuries, no deaths, so right now we're still investigating,” he said Friday. “We are noting high levels of ammonia within the structure so we're working on that right now.”
Refrigeration workers have been on the site recently, however, he added.
A spokesperson later said it is likely one of the valves inside the plant was left open, causing the ammonia leak.