Premier, finance minister, unavailable for Redford plane questions
People looking for an elected member of the Alberta government to comment on former premier Alison Redford’s use of government planes will be waiting until at least next week.
Premier Dave Hancock is on vacation in Italy and unavailable. Finance Minister Doug Horner, whose department is responsible for the fleet, is in Alberta but also on vacation.
When CBC broke the flights story earlier this week, Kathleen Range, a backup spokeswoman in Hancock’s office who is not an elected official, was sent out to face the media.
- Premier Alison Redford’s flights had 'false passengers,' auditor general says
- Alison Redford flights: opposition politicians want RCMP probe
- Alison Redford's allies disappointed over 'false passengers' report
"The premier's not here, but he is aware that the information is out there,” Range said. “Finance minister, he's not available as well. I'm responding on their behalf."
In an internal report obtained exclusively by CBC News, Alberta Auditor General Merwan Saher found that "false passengers" were booked on the government planes.
The passengers’ names were removed just before printing the flight manifest, Saher’s internal report said, making it possible for Redford to fly alone with her entourage.
Since CBC published and broadcast the story on Tuesday, opposition politicians have called for the RCMP to step in and for Redford to step down as the MLA for Calgary-Elbow.
They also have questions about what Horner knew, as the minister responsible for the government fleet.
However, the vacationing Horner has not made himself available for questions. Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith said Albertans deserve answers..
"The government planes are flying every single day, and we have absolutely no certainty that practices have changed, or that the Finance Minister has any oversight or concern whatsoever about whether or not they're being abused,” she said.
Horner is due to return to work next week. There is no word of when Hancock is expected back.
Redford released a short statement denying knowledge about false passengers on Tuesday night, but has not responded to repeated requests for an interview.