The Edmonton police officer who shot and killed 17-year-old Cyrus Green in Feb. 2011 “could only respond with lethal force,” according to an Alberta Justice fatality report released Monday.

The report concluded the shooting of Green was a homicide, but “there is nothing to recommend that would prevent similar deaths.”

“The officers in the circumstances were faced with lethal force and could only respond with lethal force,” the report said.

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team investigated the incident and cleared Redlick of any wrong doing, saying he acted in self defence. 

Const. Jack Redlick was on patrol on Feb. 4, 2011 when he and two other officers were called to a robbery inside the Coliseum LRT station.

An officer who was already at the scene radioed that he had been challenged by someone carrying a bat and a knife, and was chasing the suspect on foot.

When Redlick arrived, he saw the suspect — later identified as Green — running southbound down the alley, being pursued by another officer.

Redlick advanced towards Green, who was armed with a bat, with his firearm drawn.

Redlick said he yelled at the suspect to drop the bat. Green then advanced towards Redlick with a knife raised in his right hand.

Redlick testified in May that Green raised the knife to his shoulder, holding it “like a spear.”

“I remember seeing the shiny silver of the knife,” Redlick had said. “The blade looked huge. It looked like a big kitchen knife, in essence.”

Green was approximately three metres away from Redlick, which the police officer said was “way too close.”

Redlick fired three shots at Green, who collapsed at Redlick’s feet. Redlick testified that the teen then gave a “hollow kind of gasp” and said “shoot me again.”

Green later died in hospital of gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen.

Previous incident

This isn't the first time Redlick has been investigated for his actions. 

A former Edmonton police officer told CBC News that Redlick and two other officers viciously beat a handcuffed man while he was down.

Derek Huff, a 10-year-veteran who resigned in Feb. 2013, said Redlick was the main instigator in the incident.