Pilot confirmed dead in Alberta plane crash

The person killed in Monday's plane crash at Kirby Lake in northern Alberta was a pilot, Transport Canada has confirmed.

'A miracle 9 people survived'

Transportation Safety Board investigators are probing a plane crash that killed one person and injured nine at Kirby Lake in northern Alberta. ((CBC))

The person killed in Monday's plane crash in northern Alberta was a pilot, Transport Canada has confirmed.

Officials have not released the name of the deceased, one of two pilots and eight passengers aboard the twin-engine turboprop aircraft that crashed during an attempted landing at the Kirby Lake airstrip. Four people were sent to hospital with serious injuries.

Emergency workers said survivors were walking through the wreckage trying to help each other when rescuers arrived at the crash site near Conklin, about 250 kilometres northeast of Edmonton.

"Everyone was just concerned about the other guys, not themself," Joe de Beaudrap, an emergency medical responder with oil company Cenovus, told CBC News on Tuesday. Some were able to walk while others needed stretchers, he said.

"It's a miracle nine survived," de Beaudrap added.

Paramedic Jennifer Kuzek said the crash scene was something she hopes never to experience again. "You always hope for the safety of people," she said.

Weather a factor

The weather will be a "main focus" of the crash investigation, said Mike Tomm, a member of the Transportation Safety Board of Canada team that arrived at the site Tuesday morning. "We will begin to go through flight logs and records."

Investigators studied the trail of wreckage, and by midafternoon had completed the field investigation. The wreckage would be sent to Edmonton for further examination if necessary, said Tomm.

The Beechcraft King Air 100, operated by Kenn Borek Air, left Edmonton and was en route to the Kirby Lake airstrip Monday when it crashed into the muskeg at about 11:20 a.m. MT. Seven BP employees were on the plane, along with a contractor and the two pilots.

All the survivors were injured and taken from the scene in stable condition. Two were flown by air ambulance to Edmonton, and two others were taken to Fort McMurray, where one was released from hospital late Monday. The rest were treated locally and taken to Lac la Biche, about 165 kilometres away.