A convicted sex offender accused of violating a court order that bans him from visiting public places where children are often present has been released from custody.

Karl Toft, 73, appeared in an Edmonton court on Tuesday and was released on a $1,000, no-cash deposit. He is due back in court on May 25.

Toft now must report to police weekly rather than monthly, which was the original reporting requirement imposed when he was released from an Edmonton halfway house in 2005.

He had been released from prison to the halfway house in October 2002, three years before the end of his 13-year sentence for sexually assaulting 18 boys while working as a guard at the Kingsclear Youth Training Centre in New Brunswick.

Edmonton police said they received a call from a member of the public Friday night who said they spotted Toft in a fast food restaurant. That violates one of the 18 conditions Toft is subject to, police said.

Toft was arrested at his home on Friday night.

Toft was convicted in 1992 of assaulting boys at the youth detention centre between the mid-1960s and the 1980s.

He has since admitted to assaulting a total of 200 boys over a 35-year period.