Parents hear details of son's swarming death on Whyte Ave.
Monday's start of a preliminary hearing into the stabbing death of a young man swarmed on Whyte Avenue ended almost six years of waiting for a Lloydminster, Alta., family.
"It's tough just listening to some of the description of what went on that night," said Grant McGillis. "You never forget it, but it makes you relive it again. So it's pretty emotional. It's tough."
Dylan McGillis, 20, was attacked on the popular bar strip on Nov. 19, 2006. Police said he was swarmed by a group of people.
On Monday, many of those attending the hearing wore white t-shirts emblazoned with a photo of McGillis on the back and the slogan "stop the violence" on the front.
McGillis' mother Marlene McGillis cried inside the courtroom as she listened to witnesses describe the night her son was swarmed and stabbed.
"We're here on behalf of Dylan," she said. "Dylan would be here for any one of us. We're here for him."
The details in the hearing are subject to a publication ban.
Cliff Decoine Zuniga, charged with manslaughter, is the lone person charged in the case.
One year ago police said they were still searching for other suspects, but so far no other charges have been laid.