Notifications

Mill Woods fire blamed on discarded cigarette butt

A fire that destroyed two homes in Mill Woods on Sunday was started by a discarded cigarette butt.

A fire that destroyed two homes in Mill Woods on Sunday was started by a discarded cigarette butt.

Fire investigators have determined that the butt smouldered in the soil and ignited a plastic planter on the back deck of a house at 20th Street and 27A Avenue.

The fire then spread up the vinyl siding and into the attic of the house.

Two homes were destroyed and the siding was melted off two others.

Damages are estimated at $1 million.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.