Graphic surveillance video from the Stadium LRT station was shown Tuesday at the trial of a man accused of shooting and killing a young Edmonton woman.

Colton Barry Ferguson, 21, is on trial for first-degree murder in the death of Heather Rae Thurier, 23, on May 21, 2010.

Thurier is seen in the video walking with her brother and nephew to go use a payphone in the station concourse.


Heather Rae Thurier was shot in the head May 21, 2010 at the Stadium LRT platform. (Facebook)

At one point, they have a conversation with a man wearing a red baseball cap who was earlier seen removing what appears to be a sawed-off weapon from a backpack. He walks away, but then comes back.

The man in the red cap raises his weapon at Thurier, as they appear to argue. She falls to the ground after being shot in the face. The man flees after he scuffles with Thurier's male relative.

Police later recovered a sawed-off .22 calibre rifle in a backpack at the LRT station, which they believe is the murder weapon.

Ferguson known to police

Edmonton police officers testified earlier Tuesday that they recognized Ferguson as the man on the video.

Const. Matthew Potter told the court he watched the surveillance video three days after the shooting and recognized the attacker as Ferguson.

Potter told the court he had a number of dealings with Ferguson, including one earlier that month when Ferguson was wearing a red baseball cap backwards just like the attacker in the video.


Colton Ferguson. (CBC)

A second officer, Const. Craig Matheson, also had previous encounters with Ferguson and recognized him from a suspect photo sent out after the shooting.

Both officers pointed out Ferguson as the defendant in the prisoner's box.

Potter said Ferguson looked different now as he has a tattoo of a tear drop on his right cheek.

Ferguson stared straight ahead showing no emotion.

Earlier in the morning LRT security officer John Taylor testifed he was alerted to the shooting after a passenger called security from the platform.

As soon as he switched up the surveillance camera, he saw to a woman lying face down on the platform in a pool of blood, he said.

Taylor then called 911.

Thurier's nephew, Jordan Arcand, was with her in the LRT station. He testified that he heard a bang, and turned to see Thurier fall to the ground. He said couldn't identify the man who shot her.