The fast-approaching trial of the man accused of shooting dead three armed guards at the University of Alberta will no longer be heard by a jury, it was revealed Tuesday.

Travis Baumgartner was charged in the June 2012 robbery and fatal shooting of Michelle Shegelski, Eddie Rejano and Brian Ilesic at HUB Mall. A fourth guard, Matthew Schuman, was badly injured in the shooting.

si-hub-shooting-suspect

Travis Baumgartner is charged with three counts of murder and one count attempted murder. (Edmonton Police)

Baumgartner was working as a guard on the same shift. He was arrested days later with $330,000 in cash in his vehicle at a U.S. border crossing adjoining British Columbia.

Alberta Justice spokesperson Michelle Davio told CBC News that, at the request of Baumgartner’s lawyer, the trial will be switched from jury to judge alone. The Crown agreed with the change.

The time set aside for the trial has also been reduced from three weeks to one after discussions between the Crown and defence lawyers. Davio said the change was made late last week.

Davio said Baumgartner’s trial is scheduled to start Sept. 9.

Baumgartner is charged with three counts of murder and one count of attempted murder.