Police seek tips after man, 28, killed in Clareview shooting

Police have identified the man who died in a northeast Edmonton shooting as Justin Nicholas Allen, 28.

In separate incident, 17-year-old found with gunshot wound near 132nd Avenue and 66th Street

Edmonton police remain at the scene of a suspicious death in northeast Edmonton Thursday morning. (CBC Edmonton)

Police have identified the man who died in a northeast Edmonton shooting as Justin Nicholas Allen, 28.

Police hope releasing Allen's name will lead to tips from the public. 

Officers and emergency crews were called to a strip mall near Hermitage Road and 40th Street in the Clareview neighbourhood at about 1:30 a.m. Thursday.

There they found a man lying on the ground, suffering from gunshot wounds. The man was rushed to hospital but later died.

"We want to speak with anyone who had contact with Justin just before he was killed," homicide section Staff Sgt. Duane Hunter said in a statement.
Edmonton police and emergency crews were called to the scene at about 1:30 a.m. Thursday. (CBC Edmonton)

"He's known to frequent a pub in the area where he was found this morning."

An autopsy has been scheduled for Friday morning, police said. 

Allen is Edmonton's 19th homicide of 2017. 

Officers and emergency crews were on the scene for much of the morning, where a large section of the strip mall parking lot had been cordoned off with police tape, and a canine team could be seen patrolling the area.

Daycare closed for the day

While most of the businesses have since reopened, a daycare in the strip mall remains closed. Dozens of parents and their kids were turned away this morning while police conducted their investigation. 

"That's really scary," said Krista Wanchuk who was trying to drop off her two young children when she was told the daycare was closed. 

"I don't know what happened. Makes it really paranoid for a parent, right? You don't know what to expect and you don't want to bring your kids in the area."

Other parents were trying to find out what happened, but police were tight-lipped.

"They've given you no information whatsoever, " said Tyson Olynyk, scrambling to find a backup plan.  

"They just said they're closed and the police won't reveal anything at this time."

For the many residents in the area, news of the shooting was surprising.

Many said the neighbourhood hasn't really had any trouble. While arguments are occasionally heard in the parking lot of the strip mall, that's as serious as it gets.

Jenny Griffin has lived across from the strip mall for two years. 

"Makes me feel sad for that person, but it's this world right now isn't it?" she said.

Police are also investigating an incident that left a 17-year-old male with a gunshot wound before midnight Wednesday.

The teen was found at 11:50 p.m. near 132nd Avenue and 66th Street.

He was taken to hospital where he remains in stable condition.

Police said the two shootings are unrelated.