Dianna Wilk once dreamed of working in forensics, a friend says, and went to NAIT for a year with that in mind.

Now she is dead, and a police forensics team and a pathologist will have to determine how she died and whether she was the victim of a homicide.

"How could someone hurt someone who was so beautiful?" asks April Pinder, who was Wilk's best friend for 21 years.

"She was such a kind, loving person. She would never do anything to hurt anyone. She didn't gossip, she never backstabbed. What you saw is what you got with Dianna. She was so loyal. I don't know why someone would do this to her. I have no idea."

So far police have released little information about the case. All the public has been told is that Wilk and Daniel Fullerton, who were both 28, were found dead last Friday evening in a car parked on a quiet residential street.

Homicide detectives have taken the lead on the case, and autopsies have been scheduled for Tuesday.

For now, friends and family have questions but few answers.

"It just does not make sense," Pinder said. "So I really, really hope the police can find something."

Pinder and Wilk were born three days apart, and met when they were seven.

"We were attached at the hip," Pinder said.

Parents moved away 2 weeks ago

Wilk was the youngest of three girls in her family. Her parents raised their daughters in Edmonton, Pinder said, and moved to Ontario only two weeks ago.

Pinder said her own family moved out to St. Albert when she was in Grade 5, and she told her parents they'd ruined her life by taking her away from her best friend.

The two stayed close. When Wilk turned 16, her parents bought her a Ford Ranger. She'd drive out to St. Albert and pick up her best pal, and they'd head to the mall to go shopping, or somewhere to chase boys.

After high school, Wilk went to NAIT and hoped to one day get a job as a forensic scientist, her friend said.

She took a break from school after the first year, but never ended up going back.

Pinder said she remembers her friend as kind, bubbly and charismatic, a great dancer, a young woman who spoke Polish at home with her family, who loved dogs and babies and was always positive and full of life.

"Today is actually my two-year wedding anniversary," Pinder said. "It's crazy to think, two years ago we were just sitting at my wedding, laughing, not a care in the world. Who would have thought that this is what would have happened, you know?"

Police responded to an emergency call at 7:39 p.m. on Friday. When officers reached the scene at 173rd Street and 11th Avenue, they found Wilk and Fullerton dead in the front seat of a car.

Police have asked anyone who may have seen or heard something that evening to come forward.

"I really hope that they find the person who did this," Pinder said. "We all just want answers. I haven't been able to sleep. I want to know who did this to her. And why."