Natural gas service was restored Monday evening to around 300 homes in the County of Grande Prairie after a fire disrupted supply earlier in the day, the Alberta Emergency Alert system reported.

The disruption was caused by fire near Highway 670 and Range Road 52, the County of Grande Prairie Regional Emergency Partnership said in a media release.

"There has been an event that has disrupted natural gas supply," the emergency alert system reported in an information bulletin.

Fire crews arrived at the scene at 7 a.m. and extinguished the fire, the release said.

The 300 affected homes were south of Highway 670 and Range Road 52 in the County of Grande Prairie.

Subdivisions affected included Brookside, Meadow Brook, Aspen Ridge, Sunnybrook, Eastland Acres, Triple L Trailer Park, Autumn Wood, Arthur Lane and Sunridge Estates.

ATCO Gas is now going door-to-door in these neighbourhoods to relight gas appliances.

Warming centre remains open Tuesday

Schools have been notified and a warming centre for residents and their pets has been opened in Evergreen Park, and will remain open until midnight Tuesday.

Residents headed for the warming centre are still advised to bring basic necessities in case they have to be out of their homes for an extended period. 

Environment Canada issued an extreme cold warning for parts of the County of Grande Prairie. Very cold wind chills between –35 and –45 were expected Monday night.

Residents who need a warm place to stay after midnight on Tuesday are asked to call GPREP Emergency Social Services at 780-296-4172.