The mother of Geo Mounsef, the toddler killed when an alleged drunk driver crashed into an Edmonton restaurant patio, has condemned the reported abduction and assault of the accused driver.

"I don't want my son to be associated with this. It's horrible to even have to look this morning in the newspaper and see my son's face next to that,” Sage Morin told CBC News.

“We try to do so many positive things in Geo's honour."

Richard Suter’s lawyer said Friday the man was abducted from his home late Thursday night by a group of people.

Dino Bottos said Suter, 64, was then blindfolded, forced into a vehicle, and driven to south Edmonton where he was “severely” beaten.

A source tells CBC News that Suter’s thumb had been cut off during the alleged attack. Suter was able to flag down a passing motorist, who called 911. He was taken to hospital with serious, but non-life-threatening, injuries.

Geo, 2, was eating with his family on the patio at Ric’s Grill on 142nd Street and 23rd Avenue in May 2013 when a SUV suddenly accelerated and crashed into the restaurant.

The boy was pinned against a wall by the vehicle and was killed.

Suter is facing several charges, including impaired driving causing death and refusing to give a breath sample, after the crash.

Morin said it isn't sure the attack was related to her son's death, but pleaded with supporters to let the courts deal with Suter.

“Justice for Geo will not come in the form of violence. Our family remains hopeful and entrusting of the legal system to bring Justice for Geo,” she wrote in a Facebook post Friday.

“We have tried our very best to use Geo's memory as an inspiration to do positive things for our community, to lend love, compassion and understanding to our fellow mankind, and to try make this world a better place one small act of kindness at a time.”

Suter's trial is currently scheduled to begin in October.