Former police officer found guilty of dangerous driving

Former Edmonton police constable Douglas Kurtis Brown was found guilty Tuesday of four counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

A former Edmonton police constable was found guilty Tuesday of four counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

Douglas Kurtis Brown was accused of running a red light in his 7 Series BMW and slamming into a pickup truck in May 2008, injuring four teenagers.

At the time, Brown was still a member of the Edmonton Police Service, but was off duty when the crash occurred. He resigned from the force in September.

Sentencing will take place at a later date.

The crash took place at 2:15 a.m. on May 11, 2008, at the intersection of 66th Street and Whitemud Drive in southeast Edmonton.

During the trial, Brown testified that he was driving close to the speed limit in a 60 km/h zone and that the light was green when he entered the intersection.

But in his ruling, Provincial Court Judge Michael Allen called that testimony untrustworthy and unreliable, instead choosing to believe the testimony of a witness who said Brown was driving 100 km/h.  Allen also ruled Brown ran a stop light which had been red for at least six seconds.

After Brown's car smashed into the pickup truck, three passengers were able to get out but the then-18-year-old driver was trapped inside.

During the trial in February, the driver, Robert Wasyliw, testified that upon regaining consciousness he realized his arm was pinned under the truck outside the window.

The truck had caught fire and Brown pulled Wasyliw to safety 30 seconds before it exploded.

Wasyliw suffered broken bones and burns over much of his body.

After the verdict Tuesday, Wasyliw's father, Mike, told reporters outside court he was happy with the judge's decision.

"Some justice happened today," he said.

Brown also originally faced five counts of impaired driving causing bodily harm and one count of driving with a blood alcohol over the legal limit.

But those charges were dismissed during the trial, after the judge found Brown's charter rights were violated when police demanded a breath sample from him. 

The judge found the rookie police officer who investigated the crash didn't take proper and complete notes, nor did he file a report that would have supported reasonable grounds for Brown to take a breathalyzer test.