Fire in north Edmonton condo

About 30 people were evacuated from their north Edmonton condo building after a fire Saturday morning.

Fire officials say a still-lit cigarette caused the blaze

Fire officials say a still-lit cigarette caused the fire, badly damaging one fourth-storey suite. (CBC)

About 30 people were evacuated from their north Edmonton condo building after a fire Saturday morning.

The fire broke out just before 8 a.m. near 111th Avenue and 123rd Street, badly damaging one suite on the building’s fourth floor.

Fire officials said the fire was caused by a lit cigarette butt.

Barbara Switzer lives in the building. When she first heard people shouting about a fire, she said she thought someone was playing a joke.

“And then I heard a thundering of feet through the building and a man’s voice yelling, ‘get out, everyone get out.’”

She just had time to grab her purse and her dog before the building’s fire alarm went off.

“Everyone was worried about who was out of the building and pets were missing -- there was a lot of shock.”

No one was injured.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.