Smoke billows out of suites on the top floor of the Valhalla apartment Tuesday morning. (CBC)

Firefighters were called to a 15-storey Oliver apartment building Tuesday morning after fire broke out on the top floor.

Flames and smoke were seen billowing out of the windows of suites at the Valhalla apartment at 113th St. and 99th Ave. when the fire broke out just after 10 a.m.


Andrew Sims holds his dog Eleanor while firefighters fight a blaze that broke out on the top floor of the Valhalla apartment building Tuesday. ((CBC))

The firefighters focused their efforts on suites on the building's top floor, while building residents huddled for warmth in the lobby on the main floor. There were no reports of injuries.

Resident Andrew Sims stood outside in the cold holding his somewhat shaken-looking pug Eleanor in his arms.

Sims, who lives on the floor where the fire broke out, said he assumed it was a fire drill when the alarms started sounding in the building.

Then he saw some smoke when he looked out into the hallway.

"Everyone at least that I know is ok, so something to be thankful for," he said.

Seventh-floor resident Tara Sullivan originally thought the building alarms had been set off by accident and only realized there really was a fire when she went outside.

"I looked up there, saw how severe it was and it's obviously not the most comforting feeling in the world, so hopefully everything's ok," she said.

Sullivan said crews were doing some work requiring the water to be shut off in the building.