Edmonton under severe thunderstorm warning
Environment Canada has issued a severe thunderstorm warning in Edmonton and the surrounding area, and much of central Alberta is under a thunderstorm watch.
The forecast calls for severe thunderstorms Saturday afternoon and evening, with the potential for large hail, damaging winds and heavy downpours.
The forecast calls for a 60 per cent chance of showers or thunderstorms, with winds gusting up to 90 km/h late Saturday afternoon. The wind is expected to ease up by midnight.
Residents are advised to take immediate safety precautions if threatening weather approaches.
The following areas are under a thunderstorm warning:
- Edmonton, St. Albert, Sherwood Park.
- Spruce Grove, Morinville, Mayerthorpe, Evansburg.
- Drayton Valley, Devon, Rimbey, Pigeon Lake.
- Leduc, Camrose, Wetaskiwin, Tofield.
The following areas are under a thunderstorm watch:
- Peace River, Fairview, High Prairie, Manning.
- Grande Prairie, Beaverlodge, Valleyview.
- Slave Lake.
- Westlock, Barrhead, Athabasca.
- Whitecourt, Edson, Fox Creek, Swan Hills.
- Fort Saskatchewan, Vegreville, Redwater, Smoky Lake.
- Rocky Mountain House,Caroline.