Edmonton nightclub shooting leaves 4 hurt

Four people have been sent to hospital with wounds suffered in a nightclub shooting, Edmonton police say.
Four people have been sent to hospital with wounds suffered in a nightclub shooting early Sunday, Edmonton police said.

In a news release Sunday afternoon, police said officers responded at about 1:45 a.m. to reports of gunfire at the Gingur Sky club at 156 Street and 118 Avenue.

Investigators said it appeared that several shots were fired from the parking lot through tinted windows into the north area of the club.

Four people on the dance floor were struck by bullets.  

A man, 27, suffered lower body injuries; a man, 25, suffered a neck injury; a man, 29, suffered a foot injury and a woman, 23, suffered back and leg injuries. None of the injuries was considered life threatening, police said.  

Police said it was not known whether the attack was random or was connected with another incident. 

However, a police spokesperson said Sunday afternoon that city officials have had their eye on the club for some time. Two people were treated for gunshot wounds to their legs last month, and violent incidents, including a homicide, can be traced back to 2006.

"We've been obviously aware of the situations that have been going on in and around Gingur Sky nightclub," said Acting Sgt. Nicole Chapdelaine, who is in charge of the Public Safety Compliance Team.

"We are currently in the process of putting together some paperwork to deal with the nightclub itself.

"It's unfortunate this incident had to happen while we're in that process, but it does take time. And there is a process we need to follow … so that the information put forward is sufficient enough to allow the chief licensing officer to make a decision."

Police asked anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or the Edmonton Police Service dispatch line at 423-4567.


  • An earlier version of the story attributed the quotes to a "police spokesman." The speaker was in fact a spokeswoman: Acting Sgt. Nicole Chapdelaine.
    Mar 29, 2010 7:20 AM MT