A fire at a downtown Edmonton rooming house which injured one person and left 130 homeless was deliberately set, investigators concluded.
- Fire breaks out in downtown hostel for low-income people
- Downtown Edmonton hotel to become homeless hostel
The fire at Dwayne's Home, a transitional hostel for low-income people, started on the afternoon of Feb. 12th.
One man was hurt when he tried to save himself by jumping out of a third-floor window.
Temporary housing was found for the 130 residents until they were able to return to their suites a few days later.
An investigation found the fire was deliberately set when an open flame was applied to combustible material.
The fire resulted in extensive damage to a suite on the third floor and heavy smoke and water damage throughout the second and third floors.
Total damage is estimated at $400,000.
The investigation has been turned over to Edmonton Police Services.