The former wife of a doctor accused of sexually assaulting two children testified at his trial Wednesday that he admitted to molesting a little boy.
Javier Mauricio Castillo Cortes, 33, is accused of sexually assaulting two boys over a one-year period between July 2008 and July 2009.
The woman, who cannot be identified because of a publication ban, told an Edmonton judge that she begged Castillo Cortes to tell her the truth.
"He told me some things actually did happen," she said. "He told me he realizes he needs therapy because he is a monster."
The woman is divorced from Castillo Cortes and no longer lives in Edmonton.
"Actually I had to leave it all and go to a different country," she told CBC News outside the courthouse. "I found it too dangerous to stay in Canada."
Son asked if he was still a 'worthy person', mother says.
The mother of one of the complainants testified earlier in the day that her son asked if he was still a "worthy person" after the alleged sexual assault.
"Our lives changed. Our life was ruined," she told the court. "My husband is in a deep depression. My son is still seeing a psychologist."
The mother, who cried during her testimony, told the judge her son said he would never forgive her, because she didn't believe him the first time he disclosed the incident.
Castillo Cortes faces 10 criminal charges including sexual assault and forcible confinement. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
Castillo Cortes was a doctor training to be a pediatric neurologist at the Stollery Children's Hospital in Edmonton when he was charged. The two complainants were not patients.