The fire at a west-end seniors residence that killed a woman in her 70s was caused by a cardboard box placed on a stove and the element accidentally turned on.

The fire at Canora Gardens started on Tuesday afternoon while someone was moving into a second floor apartment.

The victim did not live in the suite where the fire started. Ten other residents were taken to hospital because of smoke inhalation.

Greater Edmonton Foundation Seniors Housing, the non-profit organziation which operates the apartment at 151st Street and 101st Avenue, is working to find interim accomodations for the seniors forced out by the fire.

The building was significantly damaged, particularly on the second floor, and will need lengthy repairs before residents can go back.

Edmonton Emergency Relief Services is looking for household items for those affected by the fire.

Donors are asked to drop off gently used towels and bedding at their warehouse at 10255-104 St.

Emergency Relief is also looking for unopened toiletries, new pillows, socks and underwear and financial donations.