Alberta Justice is resurrecting charges of second-degree murder against a youth in the killings of Susan Trudel and Barry Boenke.

si-bosco-murder-acreage

Police found Trudel and Boenke dead on this acreage east of Edmonton on June 1, 2009. (CBC)

RCMP found Trudel, 50, and her friend Boenke, 68, dead on Trudel's rural property near Ardrossan, just east of Edmonton, on June 1, 2009.

"This today is the happiest news I've had in nearly three years," said Judy Breitkreitz, who used to live with Boenke.

"It's time there was responsibility for various agencies and for the persons that did this."

Court documents revealed RCMP had no forensic evidence to link two 14-year-old runaways from a Bosco group home to the slayings.

The Crown stayed proceedings in the case in July 2011 after a statement made to police by one of the accused was ruled inadmissible by the trial judge.

'You just look at it like this is day number one. And we go from here.' —Judy Breitkreitz

Without the statement, the Crown concluded there was not a reasonable likelihood of conviction.

Since then significant new evidence has become available and charges of second- degree murder charges against one of the youths have been re-activated, said Josh Stewart with Alberta Justice.

"This is very positive news for the family of the victims and all the residents of Strathcona County," said Supt. Gary Steinke.

"Last year, we were told we needed more evidence to proceed with the trial and our dedicated investigators have worked very hard to get it," he said. "We never gave up."  

The boy also now faces charges of possession of a weapon, breaking and entering, and possession of stolen property worth more than $5,000.

As a result of new evidence during the murder investigation, the boy is also charged with counseling others to commit murder in relation to an unrelated incident.

The youth, who cannot be identified, is in police custody and appeared in Edmonton Youth Court Friday morning.

He was remanded in custody and will appear in relation to the homicides and related charges in Court of Queen's Bench on June 8th, and will appear again on June 14th on the counseling to commit murder charge in Sherwood Park Provincial Court.

Breitkreitz says while the charges are a relief the case is far from over.

"You just look at it like this is day number one. And we go from here," she said.