The Bissell Centre has launched an online fundraising campaign to help reopen its thrift shop that was destroyed by fire in June.
Last month’s fire at the store’s temporary location was the second in a year. The permanent location at 118th Avenue and 99th Street was hit by a fire in September 2013.
- Bissell Centre fire not caused by arson, say investigators
- Bissell Centre's temporary location destroyed by fire
- Thrift shop fire damage worse than expected
The “Restore Bissell” fundraiser aims to raise $25,000 to get the thrift shop operating again.
Bissell Centre communications manager Devin Komarniski said that the store has to reopen.
"Approximately 5,000 to 6,000 monthly customers utilize Thrift Shoppe and now they're forced to look,” he said.
“It's been a big problem, and we're really looking forward to re-opening and providing that service for people in need.”
Komarniski said $5,000 has been raised so far. The online fundraiser runs until August 8th. Non-cash donations are also needed, particularly menswear, bedding and towels.
The Bissell Centre is aiming to reopen the thrift shop in its permanent location in October.