As MLAs return to the Alberta legislature on Monday, there are questions whether former premier Alison Redford will be there, in light of the controversy over a secret plan to build her a penthouse suite in Edmonton’s Federal Building.

The project, which was eventually scrapped, was first revealed by CBC News last week, days after Redford stepped down as Alberta premier over questions about her spending and leadership.

Redford has not made herself available for comment since the story broke. She remains the MLA for Calgary-Elbow.

On Friday, Premier Dave Hancock said that his government would make no more apologies for the spending controversies under her watch.

"She apologized on behalf of herself, she apologized on behalf of government and she resigned,” Hancock said.  

“I'm not sure what more of an apology you can get than that."

McEwan University political scientist John Soroski says opposition parties may take advantage of a divided caucus and as well as cabinet ministers interested in the PC party leadership.

"They certainly …smell blood in the water and one of the interesting things may be to what extent will they try to go after potential leadership candidates and try to tar them or create negative vibes around them in advance,” he said.

Shortly before Redford stepped down, MLAs Donna Kennedy-Glans and Len Webber resigned from PC caucus.

While Kennedy-Glans plans to stay an independent, there’s no word if Webber, who resigned because of Redford’s leadership, has changed his mind now that she is no longer premier.