Alberta Health Services has confirmed two new cases of measles in the Edmonton region.
AHS has released a list of locations where it says people may have been exposed to the virus. A daycare in Sherwood Park is one of the places where individuals may have been exposed to measles.
AHS is advising anyone who visited the locations below at the specified times to be on the lookout for symptoms.
- May 15: Kids in the Park Daycare (2051 Sherwood Drive, Sherwood Park) from 8:25 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- May 16: Kids in the Park Daycare (2051 Sherwood Drive, Sherwood Park) from 8:20 a.m. to 11:05 a.m.
- May 16: Royal Pizza (590 Baseline Road, Sherwood Park) from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- May 18: Ashmont Agriplex from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- May 19: Westgate Medicentre (101, 9540 163 Street NW, Edmonton) from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- May 20: Kids in the Park Daycare (2051 Sherwood Drive, Sherwood Park) from 8:35 a.m. to 1:05 p.m.
- May 20: Sherwood Park Medicentre (101 Bremner Drive, Sherwood Park) from 11:15 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- May 20: Dynalife Dx at Synergy Wellness Complex Lab (501 Bethel Drive, Sherwood Park) from 1:05 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- May 23: Kids in the Park Daycare (2051 Sherwood Drive, Sherwood Park) from 10:50 a.m. to 5:45 p.m.
Symptoms of measles include a fever, cough, runny nose and a blotchy, red rash that appears three to seven days after the fever begins.
Outbreak declared in April
AHS officially declared a measles outbreak in Calgary, Edmonton and central Alta. on April 29, prompting many parents with infants between six and 12 months old to seek early immunization.
At the time, health officials said the declaration was prompted by “several consecutive weeks in which new cases of measles disease have been confirmed.”
As of May 23, the AHS website was reporting 26 confirmed cases of the virus. Of those, one was in the North zone, seven in the Central zone and nine in the Calgary zone.