Accused in Loblaw warehouse stabbing faces more charges

The man accused of killing two coworkers and wounding four others in a stabbing rampage at a Loblaws warehouse in Edmonton is facing fresh charges.

Jayme Pasieka suffered delusions, hallucinations and paranoia, family members say

Fitzroy Harris, 50, and Thierno Bah, 41, were killed on Friday in the stabbing rampage at the Loblaw warehouse in west Edmonton. (Provided)

The man accused of killing two coworkers and wounding four others in a stabbing rampage at a Loblaws warehouse in Edmonton is facing fresh charges.

Police Chief Rod Knecht announced Jamyme Pasieka, 29, will face two more attempted murder charges, bringing the total to two counts of first-degree murder charges and three counts of attempted murder, aggravated assault and possession of an offensive weapon.

The charges came as a result of interviews of dozens of witnesses at the warehouse, Knecht said Monday.

Police believe the victims were attacked randomly, but do not believe the attacks were racially motivated, he said.

Knecht also said police recovered at least two knives during searches of Pasieka's home and vehicle. 

History of erratic behaviour

Court records obtained by CBC News Monday show Pasieka has a history of erratic behaviour. 

In a presentence report ordered after Pasieka was convicted for uttering death threats following a confrontation with a neighbour in 2009, Pasieka's aunt stated he suffers from an undiagnosed mental illness. 

In the late 2010 report, she said he may suffer from schizophrenia and she has "witnessed the subject experience both delusions and hallucinations in the past."

She also said "she has even caught the subject holding conversations with people who do not exist, and says he has admitted to her that he hears voices."

The aunt added she believed Pasieka, who had never sought treatment or counselling, was not willing to admit he was ill.

In the same report, Pasieka's sister-in-law described him as "very paranoid." 

A second report states that Pasieka was suicidal in 2007 and that he admitted to using cocaine from age 16.

Pasieka makes first court appearance

Earlier today, Pasieka appeared via closed circuit television from the Edmonton Remand Centre where he is being held in isolation, requiring the entire facility to be locked down so he could be moved to a camera. 

His lawyer Brandon Tralenberg asked the court for a two-month delay so the case has been put over until May 5th.

“There's a lot of people that want some answers," Tralenberg said outside court.  "There's a lot of information that's come from the police interviews. So this is going to take some time unfortunately.”

Police believe Pasieka fatally stabbed Fitzroy Harris, 50, and Thierno Bah, 41, shortly after 2 p.m. Friday.  Police said there were dozens of witnesses the attack and a number of crime scenes. 

Jayme Pasieka has been found guilty on two counts of first-degree murder for killing two men at a Loblaws warehouse in February 2014. (EPS)

Crown Prosecutor Kimberley Goddard told reporters the case could be complicated. 

"But we're prepared to put as many resources and as much time as required to make sure that this case goes off without a hitch," Goddard said. 

Loblaw representative attends memorial 

Loblaw is gradually reopening the Edmonton warehouse after grief counsellors told them it would be best for the workers based on the "belief in the value of work and workplace interactions following traumatic events of this sort."

Workers were able to return for counselling and discussion on Sunday and work if they chose. However many simply took the time to talk. 

On Sunday, friends and family packed a gymnasium to remember Thierno Bah, including one of the men injured in the attack. 

Half the man's face was covered with a bandage and he told CBC News that he was shaken and in pain from a serious cut on his cheek.

Bah was a husband and father of four, who had just moved to Edmonton six months ago. His widow Djennaba Bah thanked people for attending and sharing her family’s sorrow.

Robert Wiebe, a representative of Loblaw, spoke at the memorial and offered his words of condolence.

“Nothing I can say is going to take away the pain of this senseless violence,” he said.

Djennaba Bah thanked people who attended the memorial for her husband, Thierno Bah, who was killed in Friday's attack at the Loblaw warehouse in Edmonton. (CBC )

“But Djennaba, I want you to know, that we consider Thierno a big part of our team even though he had been with us three months. But he was a part of our family, and now you're a part of our family and we don't walk away from our family.”

Thierno Barry from the Guinea Association of Edmonton remembers meeting Bah six months ago when he first arrived in the city.

“He introduced himself to everybody and we get to know him, get to talk to him, get to mingle with him,” Barry said.

“He's an awesome guy. I mean one of the best people I've ever known. Just sad his life has to end this way.”

The association is raising money for Bah’s family and to send his body back to Guinea.