Two men charged with the December killings of a pair of Mac's convenience store clerks are scheduled to appear in an Edmonton courtroom Monday morning.

Laylin Delorme, 24, Colton Steinhauer, 27, are each charged with two counts of first-degree murder, robbery with a prohibited restricted firearm, being disguised with intent and other offences.

A 13-year-old boy faces the same charges in connection with the Dec. 18 killings.

The shootings, less than an hour apart that Friday morning, shocked the city in the days leading up to the Christmas holiday season.

The first shooting happened about 3:30 a.m., at the Mac's store at 32nd Avenue and 82nd Street in the Mill Woods neighbourhood. When police arrived, they found store clerk Karanpal Bhangu had been shot in the abdomen. He was taken to hospital and later died from his wounds.

Fifteen minutes later, police were called to the Mac's store at 109th Street and 61st Avenue. Store clerk Ricky Cenabre was found shot to death in the back of the store.

Bhangu, 35, came to Canada from India just three months before he died. He brought his six-year-old son with him and reunited his family. His wife had been living in Edmonton for four years.

Cenabre, 42, emigrated from the Philippines in 2011. He planned to bring his wife and teenage son to Edmonton, and was working late shifts at the Mac's store to save money.

Three days after the killings, Delorme and Steinhauer made brief court appearances by closed-circuit television from the Edmonton Remand Centre.

Both wore orange prison jumpsuits and showed no emotion as legal representatives asked that the cases be put over until Jan. 11, to allow the accused time to retain legal counsel.

Both men have violent criminal histories dating back to 2010.

Delorme, 24, was convicted twice of assault with a weapon, once in October 2010 and again in November 2010. He was sentenced to six months in jail each time. In the November case, he was also given a lifetime ban on owning firearms.

He has also been convicted of several other offences, including drug possession, obstruction of a peace officer, mischief and theft.

Steinhauer pleaded guilty in March 2010 to assault with a weapon. He was sentenced to a day in jail and a $100 fine. He was subsequently convicted of assault causing bodily harm, assault, threats to cause death or bodily harm and other offences.