5 things to do in Edmonton this weekend
Four-legged friends, busting moves and solving puzzles
Sure, it's supposed to be a beautiful, warm, sunny weekend in Edmonton — but should you wish to stay inside ...
What: Whether you have a pet, are in the market for one, or prefer to live your life in a pet-peripheral capacity, this weekend's Edmonton Pet Expo at Northlands is worth a visit. Each year, there are plenty of information booths set up for people interested in adopting or fostering animals, as well as vendors selling anything you could conceivably want to spoil your furry friends. Plus: sugar gliders.
When? Jan. 30 and 31
What: Edmonton's only all-female roller derby league is starting 2016 off with a double bang. First, the Berzerkhers take on the Slice Girls Saturday night at the Edmonton Sportsdome in the first match of 2016. Then, if you like what you see, you can sign up for the E-Ville Roller Derby's Thursday night "Fresh Meat" program, where derby girls will teach you how to skate as well as the rules of the game. If you get good enough, you can even join the league.
When? Jan. 30 at 7 p.m.
Race the cube clock
What: Fancy yourself a mastermind when it comes to mental puzzles and mathematics? Put your skills to the test this weekend at the Telus World of Science's Winter 2016 Speedcubing Competition. The two-day event organized by the World Cube Association will bring Rubik's cubers from across the country and planet to compete, and you can sign yourself up here.
When? Jan. 30 and 31
This weekend in live music
What: Once again, there's a lot of live music happening in and around Edmonton in the next couple of days. Here's your round-up:
- Old Man Luedecke: You'll have three chances to see the East Coast banjo picker this weekend — on Thursday at the Leduc Legion, Friday at Studio 96 in Edmonton or Saturday at the Bailey Theatre in Camrose.
- Chilliwack: the Canadian rockers of yore will play Century Casino on Friday night.
- Alex Cuba: The multi-Juno winning singer-songwriter will perform at the Arden in St. Albert on Friday night. Watch the video below for a sample of his music.
- Black Sabbath: The original prince of darkness Ossy Osbourne will play Rexall Place on Saturday night as part of the band's The End tour.
- Arkells: The alt-rock Canadian group will perform alongside the Dreamers and Modern Space at the Shaw Conference Centre on Saturday night.
- War: The American funk band behind hits like "Spill the Wine" will play at the River Cree Casino alongside none other than Cheech & Chong.
A little bit of opera
What: On Saturday night the Edmonton Opera will debut its most recent production: Georges Bizet's Carmen. For those unfamiliar with the opera, Carmen tells the story of a Spanish soldier who is seduced away from duty by an exotic beauty in the days leading up to the civil war. Lyrics and dialogue are in French, with projected English translations available.
When? Jan. 30, Feb. 2 and 4
Odds and ends
- Edmonton Renovation Show: Looking to update your house a little?
- Movies at the Metro: this weekend's offerings include The Neverending Story and Blue Hawaii
- Don't forget! Both the Canada's Top Ten Film Festival and Ice on Whyte continue this weekend