5 things to do in Edmonton this Easter weekend
Do you know the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
What: In chronological order, here are some of your Easter options in Edmonton:
- The unconventional option: Have some pent-up Easter rage to let out? Why not spend Good Friday unleashing your inner demons at the Edmonton Paintball Centre?
- Easter Eggstravaganza: Celebrate the season at Rutherford House, where you can munch on freshly-baked cookies while doing some Easter-themed crafting on Sunday afternoon
- Sweet Treat: Go old school with a Victorian Easter experience at Fort Edmonton Park on Saturday. The day will start with a pancake breakfast followed by a scavenger hunt, tea party and homesteading activities
- Hop to it! Why should Easter be restricted to rabbits? Enjoy all the animals, along with crafts, science experiments and a scavenger hunt at the Edmonton Valley Zoo on Monday
- Easter Hoppenings: Get your face painted and then plant a jelly bean (plant) at the Muttart Conservatory on Sunday afternoon
- Brunch it up: Seriously, who doesn't love a good brunch? Here's the link you need to get munching
Bring out your dead
What: I seriously had a hard time picking just one amazing quote from Monty Python to head this section. Luckily for you, you can use them all this week when the Metro Cinema holds its Quote-A-Long screening of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. But hurry — tickets are selling fast! If you prefer your Flying Circus as originally intended, you've still got three screenings to choose from.
When? March 26 at 9:30 p.m.
On the catwalk
What: Fashionable eyes are focused on Edmonton this weekend and into next week as the city once again hosts Western Canada Fashion Week. The action at this year's event will be centered at the ATB Financial Arts Barns in Old Strathcona, with after-parties mainly taking place at El Cortez. A full list of scheduled events is available here.
When? March 24 to 31
For your ears only
What: Here's some of the highlights from the live music world this weekend:
- On Thursday night, folk fest favourite Ben Sures takes the stage at the Yardbird Suite for an evening of verse, rhythm, strings and horns
- Putting the EDM in Edmonton — the Northern Lights Music Festival takes over the Shaw Conference Centre for two days. Passes are available here
- Canadian folk darling Sarah Slean performs Saturday night at Festival Place
- Beatles fans, take note: revisit the classics Saturday night at the Winspear Centre as Let It Be, the international hit show from London's West End, returns to Edmonton
Odds and ends
- Don't forget! The Telus World of Science has a new exhibit perfect for the would-be detectives and Sherlock fans out there. Check out the highlights from Edmonton AM's Mark About Town visit here
- Cat stretch reminder: Don't forget the Edmonton Humane Society is holding regular cat yoga sessions on Saturdays at 9 a.m.