edm-condo-fire

Firefighters were called to a condo complex in southwest Edmonton around 9:30 p.m. on May 6th. ((CBC))

A $4 million fire at a condominium complex in southwest Edmonton was caused by a vent pipe that was installed too close to the support joists of a breezeway deck, fire officials announced Friday.

The fire on May 6 destroyed a the condo that was part of a five-building complex on South Terwillegar Drive that was in the final stages of construction.

Fire officials called the vent pipe an "installation deficiency."

Two units were occuped at the time but residents lost everything in the fire.