Two adults and two children were taken to hospital with severe smoke inhalation Tuesday after a fire at a three-storey apartment building east of downtown Edmonton.
One adult and a child are listed in critical condition. Two more people are in serious condition.
Crews responded to the fire at 92nd Street and 105th Avenue around 1:37 p.m.
They found a woman at the front door crying for someone to help with her child inside.
Two 100-pound or 45 kilogram propane tanks on a balcony prompted police to evacuate the entire block.
"We saw half of the building in flames and then we heard a second bottle of propane go off again," said bystander Roger Joly. "Two bottles of one hundred pound propane on the fourth floor. What was that doing there?"
"The flames were just leaping into the sky," said artist and third-floor resident Katrina Poetker who believes all her paintings were destroyed in the fire.
The Canadian Red Cross is helping residents displaced by the fire by providing shelter, food, clothing and hygiene kits.