Six transit workers from Medicine Hat have been told they can't sue their employer over what they claim are job-related illnesses. The Alberta Court of Appeal ruled the six men were not entitled to sue and it also concluded the men were not injured on the job. The workers tried to sue the City of Medicine Hat, several companies and the provincial government for compensation. They claim they were poisoned by methane gas while working on methanol-fueled transit buses in the early 1990's. Their symptoms are fatigue and nausea. One man, Darryl Kallis, is now in Dallas, Texas being treated for chemical poisoning. Kallis is disappointed with the ruling. "If you're not entitled to Workers' Compensation, there's got to be avenues where you can get compensation," says Kallis. "It seems an employer can do anything they want and not be held accountable." The Workers' Compensation Board had previously turned down the transit workers' request for compensation. WCB spokesman Douglas Mah says the ruling reaffirms the integrity of the system. "It's important that our workers and employers and the general public know that the workers' compensation system is a fair one," says Mah. The workers now say they may consider suing companies outside the province or taking the case to the Supreme Court.
Court rules against sick transit workers
CBC News Posted: Sep 15, 2000 11:46 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 15, 2000 11:41 PM ET
Top News Headlines
Latest Canada News Headlines
- Immigration board to audit long-term detention process after 'endless circle of mistakes'
- RCMP says it has intercepted 3,800 asylum seekers crossing illegally into Quebec since Aug. 1
- 'A broken system': Why workers are fighting mandatory mail-order drug plans
- Worried about PC Financial's move to CIBC? Here's what you need to know
- 'It still fits': Diamond ring missing since 2004 turns up on garden carrot
- Unique interchange, first of its kind in Canada, opens in south Calgary
- Ryan Reynolds 'heartbroken' over death of stunt rider on Vancouver set of Deadpool 2
- Investigation launched after B.C. father visits hospital 4 times before stroke diagnosis
- Marking 50 years since the Shell Lake murders, Canada's worst random mass killing