Charkaoui demands apology from government
A Montreal man who was imprisoned or under surveillance for six years under a federal security certificate said Tuesday he wants a formal apology from the federal government.
Adil Charkaoui issued the call Tuesday during a news conference in Ottawa.
"I don't want this label as 'ex-terrorist.' "
Charkaoui also said he has not ruled out seeking compensation from the federal government.
"There are legal avenues open to me," he said.
On Sept. 24, Federal Court Judge Danielle Tremblay Lamer said the security certificate against Charkaoui, who had been imprisoned or under surveillance for six years, will be dropped.
The certificate could be dropped in a closed-door hearing as soon as Wednesday, and the federal government will find out if it can appeal the decision.
Without being charged with any criminal offence, Charkaoui spent two years in Canadian detention and another four years under house arrest after he was apprehended in 2003 on suspicion of links to al-Qaeda.
This month's Federal Court ruling will remove the remaining conditions on his detention, including his requirement to wear a GPS tracking bracelet. In addition, the $50,000 bail he posted will be returned.
Charkaoui cut off the bracelet with a pair of scissors on the steps of the federal courthouse in Montreal on the day of Lamer's decision.
Charkaoui was one of five suspects who were issued ministerial security certificates under a federal law created to detain or deport non-citizens considered to be a security threat.
A landed immigrant from Morocco, Charkaoui has denied having any links to the terrorist group.
The case against Charkaoui was dealt a serious blow in August when the government withdrew evidence against him, saying that disclosing some information related to the case would endanger national security.