Warning issued after new case of measles in Calgary
People may have been exposed at several Calgary locations
Calgary health authorities have announced another case of measles and are warning that some people may have been exposed.
This is the ninth case of measles in the Calgary region this year.
People may have been exposed to the contagious disease at the following locations and times:
- A & W Restaurant (190-4307 130 Ave S.E.) April 18 – 12 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Walmart (4705 130 Ave S.E.) April 18 – 12:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- South Health Campus Emergency Department (4448 Front Street S.E.) April 18 – 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- La Charme Hair Salon & Spa (#2, 539 Queensland Place S.E.) April 19 – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Pet Planet Millrise Plaza (#3117, 150 Millrise Blvd. S.W.) April 19 – 11:30 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.
- Safeway Southcentre (11011 Bonaventure Dr. S.E.) April 21 – 12 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
People who may have been exposed are asked to monitor themselves for symptoms and stay home and call Health Link Alberta at 1-866-408-5465 before visiting any health care facility or provider.
Provincial health officials say the cases of measles in the province underscores the importance of immunization.
The vaccine is offered for free in Alberta by appointment through local public health offices and community health centres.
Two drop-in clinics are also being offered to people born in 1970 or later who have not received both doses of the vaccine:
On April 30 from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. at South Calgary Health Centre Immunization Clinic (3rd floor, 31 Sunpark Plaza S.E.) and Northgate Immunization Clinic (#A154, 495 – 36 Street N.E.)
On May 3 from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at South Calgary Health Centre Immunization Clinic (3rd floor, 31 Sunpark Plaza S.E.) and Brentwood Immunization Clinic (Unit 302, 3630 Brentwood Road N.W.)