Victoria Day long weekend is supposed to be when Calgarians can finally do some gardening or head out for a camping trip.
- Have a suggestion for a May long weekend activity? Let us know in the comment section below.
There are lots of other options for family fun over the May long weekend, some of which are indoors.
- Fort Calgary is hosting Mountie Day on Monday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to celebrate the formation of the RCMP. Kids will get to dress up like a Mountie, design a pillbox hat and have some cake.
- All city-owned aquatics and fitness centres, athletic parks and arenas are closed Monday (aside from advanced bookings). But Village Square Leisure Centre and Southland Leisure Centre are both open on Monday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Summer season hours start this weekend at Heritage Park, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary. The park is open daily from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Heritage Town Square — which has shopping, restaurants and a park — is a free zone located outside the main gates.)
- Telus Spark is open all weekend from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Calgary Zoo is open during the holiday weekend from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Calaway Park's grand opening weekend begins on Saturday. It's open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. all weekend.
- Bowness Park remains closed for flood recovery and redevelopment.
- The outside trails at the flood-damaged Inglewood Bird Sanctuary are also still closed. The sanctuary’s Nature Centre is open on Saturday from 12 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., but closed on Victoria Day.
Other services affected this weekend:
- All city administrative offices will be closed on holiday Monday.
- Calgary Transit will be operating on a Sunday level of service.
- The Bridgeland/Memorial C-Train station will be closed over the weekend while crews work to extend the platform. Shuttle buses will connect passengers between stations to the east and west.
- Residential collection schedules for blue, black and green carts are unaffected by the Victoria Day holiday.
- The Animal Services Centre at 2201 Portland Street S.E. is closed for holiday Monday.
- City landfills at East Calgary (3801 68th Street S.E.), Spyhill (11808 69th Street N.W.) and Shepard (12111 68th Street S.E.) are open on Victoria Day from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.