A kitchen fire in northeast Calgary was sparked by cooking oil that ignited, fire crews say.

Crews were called out to the 100 block of Templeton Circle N.E. at roughly 12:45 p.m. MT for reports of a house fire.

A meter reader in the area saw smoke and flames coming from the back of the home and called 911.

When fire crews arrived, they found the fire has started in the kitchen and had spread into other rooms throughout the four-level split home.

The entire home suffered heavy smoke damage and is uninhabitable, but there were no injuries reported.

The occupant told fire crews he had been cooking with oil, which had ignited.

The Calgary Fire Department is now reminding Calgarians to never leave cooking unattended.

If a fire starts in a pot on the stove, residents should quickly and carefully slide a lid onto the pot and turn the element off.

Do not remove the pot and let it cool down in place.

Anyone not comfortable doing that is advised to phone 911, alert all residents to the fire and leave the house.