Zookeeper injured after gorilla raids kitchen
Calgary Zoo says employee's injuries were minor
Posted: Mar 8, 2013 1:54 PM MT
Last Updated: Mar 8, 2013 5:53 PM MT
An animal keeper at the Calgary Zoo has been injured after an incident with a gorilla.
The employee was in the kitchen in the rainforest exhibit around 9:15 a.m. MT Friday when he turned around to find a gorilla.
Officials say the gorilla was contained but the keeper did receive a minor injury. The worker is recovering after being released from hospital.A keeper received a minor injury after gorillas entered the kitchen in the exhibit, which normally is for humans only. (CBC)
An emergency response team locked down the exhibit for roughly 15 minutes as it checked on the whereabouts of the six gorillas who live there.
Zoo curator Malu Celli says the public was never at harm and this is the first time an incident like this has happened since the exhibit opened in 2003.
"It is an unfortunate event and we'll take every step to make sure that it never happens again," said Celli. "But the positive side ... is that we know everything we put in place in case of an unfortunate situation lived up to expectations."
Zoo officials say they don't know how a gorilla got into the kitchen, as there are "gorilla-proof" locks on doors leading to the area.
The investigation will check if the zookeeper accidentally left the doors open or if the gorilla somehow figured out how to unlock them.
Officials are also looking into how many gorillas escaped the enclosure.
Another incident in 2009
Calgary Zoo gorillas also made headlines in 2009 when photos taken by a visitor surfaced of a female Western Lowland gorilla holding a knife menacingly toward a troop mate.
Zoo officials said the knife had been left in the enclosure by mistake and none of the animals were hurt.
"They're not an aggressive species at all. In fact, they're quite gentle, passive, shy, animals and most of the behavior that you see that might be seen [as aggressive] is all show and very little action," said zoo spokesperson Cathy Gaviller at the time.A Calgary Zoo visitor snapped this photo in 2009 of gorilla Barika holding a knife accidentally left by a zookeeper. (Courtesy of Heike Scheffler)
Latest Calgary News Headlines
- Unlicensed teen ticketed for high-speed drive
- A teenage girl without a licence pulled over for speeding on a highway near Calgary is facing several charges. more »
- Harper's constituents react to chief of staff's resignation
- Residents of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's constituency of Calgary Southwest are weighing in on Nigel Wright's departure. more »
- Wheelchair rugby grows in popularity
- Wheelchair rugby is seeing a rise in popularity across Alberta, with clubs in Calgary and Edmonton reporting new members. more »
- Edmonton driver, 62, charged in boy's patio death
- A 62-year-old Edmonton man is facing numerous impaired driving-related charges after a two-year-old boy was killed when a SUV crashed through a dining patio at a south Edmonton restaurant Sunday night. more »
Top News Headlines
- Unknown remains found on Dellen Millard's farm
- Police searching the farm of Dellen Millard, the 27-year-old charged with first-degree murder after the remains of Ancaster, Ont., man Tim Bosma were discovered, have found other remains on the property, but it's unclear if they are human or animal. more »
- Canadian on EI shut out amid foreign worker influx
- A jobless Canadian IT professional who is collecting employment insurance is upset because he now suspects several recent jobs he applied for went to temporary foreign workers. more »
- Tornado strikes school in Oklahoma City suburb
- A more than one-kilometre wide tornado hit an elementary school in an Oklahoma City suburb on Monday, say authorities, as twisters churned through the city's suburbs for the second day in a row. more »
- Can the Senate fire a senator?
- An expert on parliamentary rules says the Senate has the power to turf a senator from the chamber, as long as a majority approves the expulsion, and as long as there is cause. more »
- Lethbridge massage therapist charged with sexual assault
- Police nab Calgary motorcyclist at 180 km/h
- Missing teen found
- Six campers rescued after getting lost in Kananaskis Country
- Calgary police arrest 2 following minor explosions
- It's all Greek to yogurt fans
- 1 person hurt after trains collide near Medicine Hat
- Edmonton boy, 2, killed after car hits patio
- Downtown Kiss-In marks Anti-Homophobia Day