4th man in Bolsa triple murder gets 14 years
Nicholas Hovanesian pleaded guilty to kidnapping and accessory to murder after the fact
Posted: Mar 8, 2013 12:21 PM MT
Last Updated: Mar 8, 2013 3:26 PM MT
The fourth man charged in the 2009 New Year’s Day triple murder at the Bolsa restaurant in Calgary was sentenced to 14 years for his role in the killings Friday.
With time served, Nicholas Hovanesian's sentence will amount to another six years and 11 months behind bars.Three people died New Year's Day 2009 at the Bolsa Vietnamese Restaurant in Calgary. (CBC)
Hovanesian pleaded guilty last year to kidnapping Aaron Bendle and accessory after the fact to murder. He was originally charged with three counts of first-degree murder but agreed to plead guilty to the lesser charges.
The shooting in Calgary’s southeast was part of an escalating feud between rival gangs Fresh Off The Boat and FOB Killers.
Sanjeev Mann, Aaron Bendle and bystander Keni Su’a were shot and killed at the Vietnamese restaurant. Bendle had been kidnapped as bait to lure Mann, who was his associate and a known gang member, to the restaurant.
Three other men have been sentenced to life for their roles in the triple slaying. Nathan Zuccherato and Michael Roberto were found guilty of three counts of first-degree murder. Real Honorio was found guilty of two counts of first-degree murder.Nicholas Hovanesian was sentenced Friday in a Calgary courtroom. (CBC)
Latest Calgary News Headlines
- Trudeau raises environmental questions over pipeline
- Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau says a proposed west-east pipeline project will not go forward unless it addresses key environmental concerns. more »
- Calgary man charged with murder in 2012 killing
- Police have charged a man with first-degree murder in connection with a killing outside a southwest Calgary strip mall one year ago. more »
- Stampeders' Jon Cornish motivated by Grey Cup loss
- Star Canadian running back Jon Cornish wants to work on his pass routes this season but his coach will be smiling if he just continues doing what he did last year. more »
- Rain, snow in K-Country prompts rescue of school campers
- A group of wet and cold school kids and their adult supervisors from Edmonton had to be rescued from Kananaskis Country on Wednesday night. more »
Top News Headlines
- How was the Mike Duffy report 'whitewashed?'
- Opposition parties pushed the government on Thursday to answer questions about the "whitewashed" Duffy report while the RCMP is also seeking more information from the Senate as part of its review of questionable expenses. more »
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. more »
- SNC-Lavalin letter says Gadhafi son offered VP post: RCMP
- SNC-Lavalin's ties to Libya's former dictatorship ran so deep the company offered the son of Moammar Gadhafi a six-figure job as a vice president in 2008, according to a newly unsealed RCMP affidavit. more »
- Canada Post campaigns against 'no flyers' mailbox signs
- Canada Post has been mailing more than 900,000 letters across the country to people to try to convince them to remove "no flyer" signs from their mailboxes. more »
- Calgary teen found dead had been in provincial care
- Alberta's pest list includes 60 critters
- Northwest Calgary park set for overhaul
- Busy parking spots in Calgary may soon cost more
- Animals rescued from shelter in SPCA probe
- Liam, Emma, most popular names for Alberta babies
- Lindale fire doubles in size within hours
- S.E. Calgary man missing since February
- Danielle Smith slams Redford at Calgary leader's dinner