Calgary parents face long lineups for daycare
Some parents spend the night outdoors waiting to register kids for daycare
Posted: Mar 1, 2013 1:33 PM MT
Last Updated: Mar 1, 2013 9:44 PM MT
Dozens of parents lined up overnight at the Rosscarrock Community Centre in order to be first in line to register their children for a local daycare.
"All night I was here," said Azita Afsha, who held her place in line with a lawn chair. "I just went to the car to get a bit warm and just came back. It was a very hard night."
Afshar said she had to line up on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. in order to get a spot for her son.
Afshar and her husband both work, so she says daycare is crucial but every place she has looked including other daycares, day homes and after school programs, have all been full.
Johannes Vanleenan arrived Thursday at 4:45 p.m. but was only able to get a space for one of his three children into the daycare.
"It's disappointing. You would hope that we would have more opportunities in Calgary for families that need to work and need to have child care," said Vanleenan. "Our mayor needs to start focusing on the issues of the city versus fighting with the business associations and homebuilders association."
Vanleenan says he is not sure what he will do now for the two children who still need daycare.Dozens of parents line up in the gym at the Rosscarrock Community Centre to register their children for daycare. (CBC)
Latest Calgary News Headlines
- Calgary's new school construction comes with condition
- The construction of six new schools in Calgary is tied to public school board helping the province find space for the expansion of charter schools. more »
- Parents in dark about teens tanning, study suggests
- New research into the use of indoor tanning salons by Alberta teenagers suggests their parents are clueless about it. more »
- Airdrie moves toward anti-bullying bylaw
- A bylaw to address bullying in Airdrie could be in place by this fall after it passed first reading at city council Monday evening. more »
- 6 ways to have a picnic in Calgary
- CBC Calgary's food and nutrition columnist Julie Van Rosendaal gives some suggestions for good picnic foods. more »
Top News Headlines
- 2 men jailed in Dominican wedding fight return to Canada
- Two Canadian men who were detained in the Dominican Republic for nearly three weeks after a post-wedding fight broke out at a resort have returned to Toronto, the latest step in a drama that the wife of one of the men said was "like a scene from the movies." more »
- Senators call for 'zero tolerance' on harassment in RCMP
- The RCMP should amend its code of conduct to explicitly define and prohibit harassment, a Senate committee is recommending in a newly tabled report. more »
- Are e-cigarettes safe to puff?
- As electronic or e-cigarettes grow in popularity, some health advocates want them to be regulated. more »
- Most groups don't want return of Trudeau speaking fees
- Most of the 17 charitable and other organizations that have paid speaking fees to Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau during his time as an MP say they aren't interested in having their fees returned, despite Trudeau's offer on the weekend to reimburse any organization unhappy with his services. more »
- Motorcyclist takes photos of wolf chasing him on highway
- Violent serial attacker sent to prison indefinitely
- Bank robbing ex-MRU student president awaits sentence
- Tornado warning ends east of Calgary
- Amber Alert ends after infant girl located by Edmonton police
- Man accused of murder now facing sex-related charges
- Alberta police chiefs call for stricter speeding laws
- Wolf seen running along mountain highway again
- Bernard Callebaut's Papa Chocolat ordered to cease trading