Fire guts house in southwest Calgary
Posted: Feb 9, 2013 5:43 PM MT
Last Updated: Feb 9, 2013 5:40 PM MT
A home in southwest Calgary was completely destroyed by a two-alarm fire Saturday afternoon.
Crews were called to a residence in the 100 block of Shawinigan Drive southwest at about 2 p.m.
A woman was in the house when the blaze started. She heard a ‘pop’ on the back deck where it’s believed the fire began, officials said.
No one was injured.
Siding on two neighbouring homes was also damaged by the fire.
The cause of the fire is under investigation and there's no estimate of damage.
Latest Calgary News Headlines
- Southern Alberta braces for heavy rainfall, snow
- With Calgary and many parts of southern Alberta expecting a lot of rain over the next few days, officials are telling people to take some precautions. more »
- Trudeau raises environmental questions over pipeline
- Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau says a proposed west-east pipeline project will not go forward unless it addresses key environmental concerns. more »
- Calgary man charged with murder in 2012 killing
- Police have charged a man with first-degree murder in connection with a killing outside a southwest Calgary strip mall one year ago. more »
- Stampeders' Jon Cornish motivated by Grey Cup loss
- Star Canadian running back Jon Cornish wants to work on his pass routes this season but his coach will be smiling if he just continues doing what he did last year. more »
Top News Headlines
- Duffy says he wants to give Canadians "full story"
- Senator Mike Duffy says he wants a "full and open" inquiry so Canadians can get all the facts about the scandal that has rocked the Senate and the Prime Minister's Office and that he has no plans to resign. more »
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. more »
- Chat about the rise of binge TV watching on Thursday 7 p.m.
- After a seven year hiatus, Netflix is set to release a new season of Arrested Development -- and some fans are already predicting they'll watch all 15 episodes in one sitting. This week on CBC Live Online, host Lauren O'Neil will speak with a panel of guests and viewers like you about the rise of binge TV watching. Harmless hobby or horrible habit? more »
- SNC-Lavalin letter says Gadhafi son offered VP post: RCMP
- SNC-Lavalin's ties to Libya's former dictatorship ran so deep the company offered the son of Moammar Gadhafi a six-figure job as a vice president in 2008, according to a newly unsealed RCMP affidavit. more »
- Calgary teen found dead had been in provincial care
- Alberta's pest list includes 60 critters
- Northwest Calgary park set for overhaul
- Busy parking spots in Calgary may soon cost more
- Animals rescued from shelter in SPCA probe
- Liam, Emma, most popular names for Alberta babies
- Lindale fire doubles in size within hours
- S.E. Calgary man missing since February
- Danielle Smith slams Redford at Calgary leader's dinner