Authorities still investigating alleged assault on Calgary murderer
Mohamed Karim alleges he was assaulted while in custody, investigation now underway
Posted: Jan 29, 2013 3:34 PM MT
Last Updated: Jan 29, 2013 9:42 PM MT
A Calgary murderer will have to wait a while longer to find out what his sentence will be while authorities investigate whether he was abused while in custody.
Mohamed Karim was convicted in the death of Jack Beauchamp, 49, the head of a mortgage lending company, who was shot six times and found dead in his downtown office in January 2006.
But in September when he was in court for sentencing, Karim’s lawyer asked for an investigation after Karim told him he was manhandled by one guard and sexually assaulted during a cavity search while at the Calgary Remand Centre.
Michelle Davio says the Solicitor General's department then launched an investigation.
Lawyers for Karim now have a video tape, showing Karim in his cell at the Calgary Remand Centre two years ago.
But just before he is allegedly assaulted, the video goes blank.
On Tuesday, a judge approved asking the Calgary Police Service to try to find the original video at the remand centre.
Some lawyers and police officers have seen the alleged assault, but nobody has a copy and it is unknown if the original video still exists.
Adriano Iovinelli, Karim’s lawyer, says the process had been frustrating.
“Mr. Karim has been adamant he was assaulted and for two years we wait for the video,” Iovinelli said. “After two years, we get an order for the video and it's been altered in one fashion or another. I'm not saying it was at the remand or the (Calgary Police Service), but at the end of the day, it does not depict what was on there before."
Iovinelli also says the video of the alleged assault by guards could impact what sentence he receives.
"Of course it can,” Iovinelli says. “If a person is treated poorly at the remand centre, that can be a factor taken into account as to what the appropriate sentence should be and Mr. Karim is adamant that his treatment at the remand centre has been deplorable."
Karim's next court appearance is Feb. 15.
Latest Calgary News Headlines
- Busy parking spots in Calgary may soon cost more
- A council committee has accepted a plan to base inner-city parking rates on how popular parking is on any given street. more »
- Animals rescued from shelter in SPCA probe
- As the Alberta SPCA investigates an animal rescue operation west of Calgary, other shelters are stepping in to care for its displaced animals. more »
- Liam, Emma, most popular names for Alberta babies
- Liam and Emma were the top names given to Alberta babies in 2012, a record-breaking year for the number of births in the province. more »
- Conservationists pan Mount Norquay expansion plan
- Conservation groups say a newly-approved plan to expand Mount Norquay ski hill in Banff will have a negative impact on wildlife. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper 'not consulted' about Duffy Senate expense repayment
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says that not only did he not know about his chief of staff's "gift" to repay Senator Mike Duffy's expenses before the story broke in the media, he was not consulted and did not sign off on Nigel Wright's decision to write a personal cheque. more »
- 2 infants confirmed among dead of Oklahoma tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of 10 children. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Mayor Ford stays silent while his brother defends him
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford continues to stonewall the media over allegations that he was recorded on video smoking what appears to be crack cocaine, but his brother Coun. Doug Ford told reporters Wednesday that the story is untrue. more »
- Danielle Smith slams Redford at Calgary leader's dinner
- S.E. Calgary man missing since February
- Graphic anti-abortion leaflet campaign expands
- Animals rescued from shelter in SPCA probe
- Brooks celebrates hockey win with parade
- 10 must try food truck street eats
- Mount Norquay gets approval to expand
- Deadly tornadoes can strike Alberta, say experts
- SPCA investigates animal rescue farm near Calgary